This project (510553-LLP-1-2010-1-DE-COMENIUS-CMP) has been funded with support from the European Commission. This communication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.
Introducing climate change mitigation and adaption and promoting key competencies
CLIMES has two main objectives: It will develop a systematic approach to introduce the topic of climate change mitigation and adaptation in European schools all by promoting key competencies in innovative learning environments.
More concretely, CLIMES aims at:
- developing a concept to tackle the issue of climate change and climate change adaptation;
- reducing the “climate footprint” in European schools;
- combining climate change adaptation with the JEM! Environmental Management Approach;
- improving social and civic competences of European pupils.
For this purpose the following activities are being set up:
- Creating an overview of the current situation in curricular and extracurricular activities as far as climate change is concerned in the participating member states;
- Developing and piloting the CLIMES Management System for climate change mitigation and adaptation;
- Implementing innovative didactic approaches (blended learning, best practice models, European exchange among pupils and teachers);
- Integrating climate change adaptation with the environmental management approach developed in the framework of JEM!;
- Evaluating transversal key competences with the help of an innovative evaluation method LEVEL5 for non-formal and informal learning;
- Disseminating project results in a large scale European conference;
- Establishing a European network involving relevant stakeholders (interdisciplinary and transnational work of students, teachers and other educational stakeholders).